Simple & Delicious Layered Ratatouille
Courtesy of our Chef Travis Bird
This classic dish is easy to make with all your delicious late-summer garden veggies, can be a great side dish or main attraction, and it stores well as leftovers……It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!!
- Simmer all the ingredients for the sauce (recipe below) in a large pan until the flavor deepens and the sauce has thickened. Spread the sauce evenly into your favorite baking dish.
- Thinly slice your vegetables of choice and arrange them in layers over the sauce. Brush lightly with a nice olive oil and season with salt and cracked pepper.
- Cover tightly and bake 30 minutes then uncover and bake another 15 minutes or so until the veggies are golden-brown and delicious.
Top with fresh-chopped basil, and you’re ready to enjoy! Don’t forget some crusty, buttery bread to soak up the tidbits. If desired, add some roasted pork loin or pan-seared salmon on top, and you’re ready to impress!
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 – 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and sliced
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper ( I like more to taste!)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Cook the chopped onion, minced garlic, and chopped bell pepper in 2 Tbsp of nice olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until tender.
- Add in the can of crushed tomatoes and herbs, simmer for 15 minutes while stirring frequently until thickened. Taste and adjust your seasoning with salt and pepper.
- While the sauce is cooking, cut your vegetables into 1/8″ slices.
- Once the sauce has reached a nice consistency, carefully pour it into a 2 qt baking dish. Arrange your sliced vegetables in alternating fashion, standing up on their sides over the sauce. Brush the vegetables with your remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly with foil or a lid and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, carefully remove the dish from the oven and uncover. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or so, until your vegetables are tender and golden-brown and delicious.
- Carefully remove from the oven and let stand for a few minutes. Sprinkle your chopped fresh basil over the top and enjoy!