Harvest has officially begun! The Sokol Blosser winemaking team is excited to begin harvest activities for their 2016 vintage.
Alex Sokol Blossers Vineyard Report for September 1, 2016:
- Harvest began on Friday, August 19. We picked 7 tons of Walnut South Pinot Noir for a new sparkling wine.
- This year tied last year for the earliest harvest in Sokol Blossers history.
- The window is very tight for picking for sparkling, the grapes (and chemistry) tell us if they are ripe or not. In order to make good bubbles, we need to get the harvest date just right.
- We experienced quite a heat spike which speeds up ripening, so we are sampling grapes every morning.
- On August 25th we picked the first grapes for a still wine: our Estate Rosé of Pinot Noir.
- We are seeing really nice levels of naturally occurring acid due to the majority of summer not being too hot. Crop levels are coming in closer to plan, unlike the past couple of years when we experienced heavy crops.
Check back soon for more Harvest Updates!