With veraison sweeping slowly across the vineyards of the Willamette Valley, the winemaking team at Sokol Blosser is starting to gear up for harvest.
In the coming weeks, well be sharing regular vineyard and winery updates throughout harvest 2016, with some behind-the-scenes snapshots gathered from winemaker Alex Sokol Blosser and his vineyard team.
Alex Sokol Blossers Vineyard Report for August 4, 2016:
- With temperatures high above average in late spring, our estate vineyards experienced the earliest bud break and bloom on record, and weve been doing this since 1977.
- With a much cooler June, the process slowed a bit but we still should have the earliest start to harvest ever with a target date range of August 10th-15th for sparkling and by the 28th for our pinot noir.
- This July, the weather has been great with warm days and cool nights.
- Veraison began on July 19, so the grapes are still mostly green and just starting to get some sugar.
- Hot weather is on the horizon though with temperatures in the 90s predicted for much of August.
Check back soon for more Harvest Updates!